Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Me and My Shadow by Jacqueline Jules

If my shadow was lost,
I wouldn’t search for it
like Peter Pan.

Wouldn’t ask Wendy
to sew it back on.

I’m tired of dark shapes
on the sidewalk ahead.

Some tall. Some short.

Always tightly attached
to my feet.

As long as there is light
there will be objects to block it.

If I’m smart,
I’ll separate myself
from what lies beyond
this moment in time.

And giggle with my grandson,
as he raises each hand against
the sun, so tickled to see
his every move mimicked.



Jacqueline Jules is the author of Manna in the Morning (Kelsay Books, 2021), Itzhak Perlman's Broken String (winner of the 2016 Helen Kay Chapbook Prize from Evening Street Press), and Smoke at the Pentagon: Poems to Remember (Bushel & Peck, 2023). Her poetry has appeared in over 100 publications. For more information visit www.jacquelinejules.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment