Monday, June 28, 2021

Ghosts by Michael Estabrook

          Just like that – time flew
          dragging us from high school
          to retirement in a flash!

I wonder about the people
who have passed
through my life who
I haven’t seen in years, in decades
wonder how they
are doing now
all of us being older
old high school friends
college friends and favorite professors
church people I knew
coworkers, teammates, and neighbors
my first girlfriend, I hear her life was rough.
So many people I wonder
how many if I added
them all up.
They are all here with me
part of my life whether I like it or not
helping make me who I am
but no longer accessible
there but not there
like ghosts.



Michael Estabrook has been publishing his poetry in the small press since the 1980s. He has published over 20 collections, a recent one being The Poet’s Curse: A Miscellany (The Poetry Box, 2019). He lives in Acton, Massachusetts.

No comments:

Post a Comment