Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Fame by Martha Christina

Once upon a time, as the famous stories begin,
I was a part-time secretary at an Ivy League
university, and assigned to assist a famous composer
putting on the regalia for his honorary degree.

He said he loved the Beefeater hat. “I love
your music,” I said, embarrassing myself;
but I was young and not much at conversation,
and he was, as I’ve said: famous.

Back then, he was also already stooped from years
bent over the piano, composing, becoming famous.
But even famous, he wasn’t always recognized.
Out on the street, he was another black man, at risk.



Martha Christina has published two collections: Staying Found (Fleur-de-lis Press) and Against Detachment (Pecan Grove Press). Her work appears in earlier issues of Red Eft Review, and recently in Star 82 Review, Crab Orchard Review, and Tiny Seed Journal. Born and raised in Indiana, she now lives in Bristol, Rhode Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment