Sunday, January 31, 2021

Feathered calligraphy by Richard Weaver

I raise my arms and motion
towards the water of the gulf
when a V of pelicans approach
from the west. Invariably
they veer towards me
and rise higher with the heat
reflecting off my tin roof.
Their liquid shadows
wash over me in wonder.



Richard Weaver volunteers with the Maryland Book Bank, CityLit, the Baltimore Book Festival, and is the writer-in-residence at the James Joyce Pub. Other pubs: FRIGG, Mad Swirl, Spank the Carp, Adelaide, Free State Review, and Magnolia Review. He’s the author of The Stars Undone (Duende Press, 1992), and provided the libretto for a symphony, Of Sea and Stars (2005), performed 4 times to date. More recently, his 100th prose poem was published. More than 100 of his prose poems have been published since 2016.

1 comment: