Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Up and Away by Shannon Cuthbert

Among my friends,
My claim to fame was being a balloon holder
At the Macy’s Day Parade.
I wanted that to be how I was remembered
If anything should happen.
For instance, if the balloon
Shaped inevitably like a Snoopy or Tweetie
Ran off with me one day.
I wanted the newscasters,
Especially the blonde on Channel Five,
To tear up into the camera,
Tell them what a brave soul I was,
To cross the Pacific holding onto a string.



Shannon Cuthbert is a writer and artist living in Brooklyn. Her poems have been nominated for three Pushcarts, and have appeared in Plum Tree Tavern, Bangor Literary Review, and The Oddville Press, among others. Her work is forthcoming in The Metaworker, Big Windows Review, and EcoTheo Review, among others.

No comments:

Post a Comment