Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Cages by Lorette C. Luzajic

“I’m very powerful,” a friend told me once, and her silver tumble of curls as she cocked her head left a poem forever in my mind. I stirred my tea, waiting patiently for revelation. “I can feel the vibrations, the energy deep in the earth,” she said. I hated to kill the mood, but I had to. “I think we all can,” I said gently. “This cafĂ© is right on top of the subway.” I pictured her in a velvet gown the colour of dried blood, wading in the sea, the picture of who she wanted to be. Her hands and face were moon pale. She was carrying a birdcage like a lantern.



Lorette C. Luzajic is an award-winning visual artist and widely published creative writer, living in Toronto, Canada. Her most recent book, Pretty Time Machine, is a collection of ekphrastic prose poems. She recently won the MacQueen's Quinterly flash fiction contest, and has been nominated for three Pushcarts and two Best of the Nets. Lorette is the editor of The Ekphrastic Review, a five year old journal of writing inspired by art. Visit her at www.mixedupmedia.ca.

No comments:

Post a Comment