Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Coupling (2008) by Carolynn Kingyens

I listened to you retell it,
the story of how we first met
to our new friends
from our new church.
I sat in silence
with my hands under the table,
wrapping my dirty, cloth napkin
around a small fist.

Your version of events
were tidy and clean,
when you said
you knew I was the woman
you were destined to marry
the moment you saw me
in your doorway,
punctual as always,
asking for Harrison,
my blind date,
and your perpetually late
roommate.

Our new friend, Allison,
cocked her head, cooing out
a falsetto's squeal
to her mute husband –
Isn't that romantic.

If she only knew our truth;
you had no interest
in wanting to marry me
the day I showed up
in your messy doorway
with empty chip bags and t-shirts
strewn across wood floors,
that it had nothing to do
with coupling.

I was ripe, hot,
willing to please -
not yet the bitch
you would later marry.

I was naïve in a white,
strapless sundress,
and long hair still shower-damp,
smelling of mint and clover.

I let you kiss my mouth,
my neck, my back
in your bedroom;
let you hide me
inside your closet
when Harrison rapped
on your door,
asking about a girl.



Carolynn Kingyens’ debut book of poetry, Before the Big Bang Makes a Sound (Kelsay Books), can be ordered through Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Greenlight, Book Culture, and Berl’s Brooklyn Poetry Shop. In addition to poetry, Carolynn writes narrative essays, book reviews, micro/flash fiction, and short stories. Her latest short story, "Fast Car," can be read here. She lives in New York City with her husband of almost 21 years, two beautiful, kind daughters, a sweet rescue dog, and a very old, chill cat.

1 comment:

  1. Carolynn, I love this powerful, picturesque poem with the sardonic wit.

    ReplyDelete