Sunday, February 25, 2018

The Jim Beam Recognition by Ronald Moran

It's the bite of Jim Beam bourbon, the shock
                         of
recognition after a long run of Chardonnay,
                         that
I am drawn to, since my internist slapped me
                         with
a two drink limit when I turned eighty, as if,
                         well,
two drinks are enough for anyone my age,
                         still
in OK health but living under an umbrella
                         of
countless meds, both OTC and prescribed,
                         some
of which, I suppose, must work counter
                         to
alcohol consumed above the two drink cap
                         in place.

So, what to do but concede, pretending my
                         life––
be that as it is–– is, sadly enough, enough
                         incentive.



Ronald Moran has poems in current or forthcoming issues of Asheville Poetry Review, Southern Poetry Review, and Tar River Poetry. He recently learned that three of his poems will be included in a yet to be titled anthology published by Furman University. Last March Ronald was inducted into Clemson University’s CAAH Hall of Fame. 

No comments:

Post a Comment