Saturday, March 16, 2024

Marking Time by Howie Good

Almost the first thing I do in the morning
is take a bunch of pills, usually with my coffee,
but sometimes with the sordid remains
of a glass of wine from the night before.
Back in the fall, I had cancer surgery,
followed by thirty sessions of radiation.
My skin cracked and peeled like old paint
and my bones turned strangely rubbery.
Now every three months I must drive
into Boston from the South Shore
for a precautionary CAT scan of my chest
and abdomen. Parking is impossible.
The hospital buildings are topped
by coils of razor wire. And I’m still dying.



Howie Good co-edits the online journal UnLost, dedicated to found poetry.

1 comment:

  1. The cardio patient / kidney disease guy who gulps down 8 pills in the morning (also with coffee or the last few drops of last night's Margarita), three more (hopefully anti-knee replacement) steroids mid-day, and closes in on bedtime with a four-tab cocktail of various others, for various reasons, hears you loudly and clearly, Brother.

    ReplyDelete