Tuesday, June 6, 2023

After a Week of Storms by Martha Christina

I’m ashamed to say I didn’t once wonder 
how the gulls were faring. I worried 
about the song birds who disappeared 
from the feeder. I worried about my roof, 
would the shingles hold or yield a new leak? 

I don’t know where gulls shelter or feed 
in high winds and heavy rain, but today 
they’re eating last week’s stale bread, 
fanning the air with their wings, making 
their own singular music. 



Martha Christina has published two collections: Staying Found (Fleur-de-lis Press) and Against Detachment (Pecan Grove Press). Her work appears in earlier issues of Red Eft Review, and recently in Star 82 Review, Crab Orchard Review, and Tiny Seed Journal. Born and raised in Indiana, she now lives in Bristol, Rhode Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment