Sunday, December 30, 2018

Over coffee she asked me by Rose Mary Boehm

          for Jean Charity, March 2012

She’d just had the verdict:
a huge shadow on both lungs.
They’re not sure whether it’s
the old one or a new one or
whether it’s one at all.

She said they have difficulties
taking out enough with their needles
to make that damned analysis.

They probably have to cut her
breastbone. Or was it breaking
her ribs. So we had coffee.
Sinful, black and strong. The sort
that makes your heart quake.

It may just be a shadow
strategically placed.
It took me by surprise,
her question:
What would I want
to be remembered for.



A German-born UK national, Rose Mary Boehm lives and works in Lima, Peru. Author of two novels and three poetry collections, her work has been widely published in US poetry journals (online and print). 

5 comments:

  1. Such a soulful poem, Rose. At dinner the other night, 5 of us at the table, one after another shared a personal story. It wasn't planned; it just happened. SO SO SO revealing about the lives of others, the hardships overcome, the challenges that stretched, the sorrows endured. We ALL have a story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, we all have a story. Life does that. And how it hurts sometimes.

      Delete
  2. Beautifully written, difficult to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right now I'm sharing moments like this with several friends at once. Sharing does help. So does beauty, like your poem. I've lost count of how many times your writing has taken my breath away. Thank you, Rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why my identity didn't show. I see it in my "reply as" box. Alarie

      Delete