Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Laundress by Khalilah Okeke

I am no longer an American
because i,
     peg my laundry on the
     line in the backyard
     Pray it doesn’t rain,
     then rush out to rescue it
     from monsoon downpours
     and lightening bolts.

I am no longer an American
because my,
     husband keeps windows
     gaping in winter, letting in
     sea-breezes, leaving me to
     bare hardwood floors with
     naked feet.

I no longer,
     jump from spiders the size
     of 50 cent pieces, I save my
     terror for the lunging ones the
     dimension of dinner plates.

I am no longer an American
because i,
     collect my mail from a letterbox
     dropped off by a man on a
     motorbike, Gamble with oceans
     that contain the extraterrestrial
     And risk my life for a swim.

Sometimes I wish I were American
so i could,
     toss my laundry in the dryer,
     wear uggs in public, and smoke
     joints on porch steps.

Sometimes I wish I were American
so i could,
     take month long road-trips
     with my family, and watch
     mountain ranges fleet by in
     rear-view mirrors.

I miss,
     lighting fireworks on Fourth
     of July, and doctors that speak
     English. 

I miss,
     sterile hospitals that smell of
     safety, and men that help with
     laundry.



Khalilah Okeke is a North American born: Nigerian, European, East Indian. She now resides in Sydney, Australia, with her husband and two small children. She has had poems published in The Orissa Society of the Americas Journal.

5 comments:

  1. I found it both fascinating and challenging and the descriptive flow of what was and what is now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it. Thank you for your interpretation.

      Delete
  2. I liked the transition from no longer to the parts you missed. Splendid job i say. Also honest in language as you did not find it neccassry to " prove" it by using a langusge style of your new home. That would have been fake and pretentious

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I read, I thought it might be the musings of a missionary family, off in the bush, but the bio explains it all. One question though, can you get a decent hamburger? I enjoyed the read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, but you have to search for it.

    ReplyDelete