Monday, December 5, 2016

Things by Richard Martin

Whenever I walk into the living room,
a host of silent voices call to me --

the footstool, sofas, coffee table, pebbles,
candlestick, carpet all remind me

where and when they were bought, given,
collected -- inanimate yet vital;

my armchair embraces me and supports
a tired arm reaching for a glass of wine --

things make it clear that they're essential
to the magnetism of home.



Richard Martin was born in London and studied at Cambridge. For many years he taught English and American literature at the University of Aachen in Germany. He and his wife live just across the border on the slopes of the highest hill in Holland. His poetry has appeared in magazines in England, USA, Ireland, and Austria. He has published three collections.

No comments:

Post a Comment